This is the best red cabbage ever!
It is sooo good.
This red cabbage is perfect for christmas, meat balls, roast pork sandwich etc.
The red currant juice, makes the red cabbage sweet & delicious.
Yield: 4 persons
- 700 grams of red cabbage
- 1 pot of fresh thyme
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 tbsp sugar or honey
- 4 dl red currant juice (Concentrated) – You can use cranberry juice instead, if you can’t find red currant juice
- 1 dl water
- 2 tbsp vinegar
- 50 grams of butter
- 1 big sour apple
How to make it:
- Cut the stalk of the cabbage & peel of the leaves – Weigh it
- Slice the red cabbage very finely – I do this the easiest, by laying the leaves on top of each other, roll them & then slice them very thinly from the top & down
- Wash & peel the apple
- Dice the apple (Small dices – 1,5 – 2 cm)
- Melt the butter in a big pot
- Add the red cabbage
- Sauté the cabbage at medium heat, until it collapses
- Add the apple & stir
- Add vinegar, salt, cinnamon sticks, a bit thyme, sugar & red currant juice
- Mix it all
- Turn the heat down, and let it simmer for aprox. 1 hour – Without a lid – Stir once in a while, so that it won’t burn.
– If you feel that it burns, then add a bit more water
- After 1 hour, there shouldn’t be much juice left
- Pour into a bowl & serve or store in air tight/sealed glass container – Possivbly preserve it!