I have shared a recipe on filled courgettes before – Vegan.
This version is a little bit more powerfull, and I think you also can eat it, if you are vegetarian (Some vegetarians), as the only animal product in the dish is egg & parmesan cheese.
These filled squash are a hit at our house, especially Alexander loves these.
He (And we 😉 ) think that it is really delicious with the egg in the middle. The egg gets just enough warmth, so that it sets, and the egg yolk floats out, when you cut it. Yum!
A big amount of delicious fresh grated parmesan cheese, just gives this dish a last great finish ♥
They are so good, and you’ll never notice that it doesn’t contain meat – Try them!
I think that it is very important to focus on healthy & delicious meat free food & recipes.
I really wanna join to spread the message about eating less meat, gives you a healthier life.
(I don’t say that you have to become vegan, and don’t eat any meat 🙂 ), but just hat it really isn’t helathy to eat a ot of meat all the time & everyday.
Not for you – And not for the enviroment.
I am not vegan or vegetarian – I eat meat, but I try to introduce meat free days at home, and I would like to have it at least 1 day a week.
You can make so much delicious vegan & vegetarian food. You just have to be creative 🙂
Yield: 4 persons
- 4 courgettes
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 big red onion
- 2 cans of chopped tomatoes
- 2 big carrots
- 1 can of kidney beans
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 bundle of fresh thyme
- 4 – 8 eggs
- 1 parmesan
- Salt & pepper
How to make it:
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees, ordinary heat
- Cut your courgettes in halves & scrape out the meat & seeds with a tablespoon
- Save the meat from 1 squash
- Chop it finely
- Wash the carrots & cut of the top & bottom
- Grate the carrots (roughly)
- Peek garlic & onion
- Chop the garlic finely
- Dice the red onion
- heat up a pot on low/medium heat & add olive oil
- Add garlic & onion
- Fry until the onions are soft (Don’t burn the garlic)
- Add the chopped can tomatoes & stir
- Add grated carrots & the meat from the squash
- Add 2 cinnamon sticks & let it simmer for 20 minutes
- Drain the kidney beans in a colander & wash
- Add them to teh pot
- Simmer for another 10-15 minutes
- Place the half & hollowed courgettes on a baking plate, with baking paper on
- Fill the courgettes with the tomato sauce (In the front & in the back – leaving a hole in the middle)
- Put them in the oven
- Cook in the oven for 15 minutes
- Crack the eggs (one at a time) in a rammekin or little cup
- Take the courgettes out of the oven & carefully pour a egg in the hole in the middle (Remember to leave enough space, for all the eggwhite)
- Carefully put them in the oven again, and cook for aprox. 10 minutes. Keep an eye on them! Ovens are different. The egg white should be firm & cooked & the yolk should still be fluid- Really! Keep an eye on it 😉
- Take the courgettes out of the oven & sprinkle with a lot of fresh grated (finely grated) parmesan
- Serve …